- Five international airports (Delhi, Mumbai, Cochin, Hyderabad, Bengaluru) have been completed successfully under Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode.
- Greenfield airport at Navi Mumbai, Mopa (Goa) and some brownfield airports of Airports Authority of India (AAI) and 50 airports under the low-cost model are to be developed all over the country, including under PPP.
- Indian aviation is experiencing dramatic growth across the board, from the emergence of LCC/new carriers to a growing middle-class ready to travel by air as well as growth in business and leisure travel.
- IndiaÂ´s middle-income population is expected to increase from 160 Million in 2011 to 267 Million by 2016.
- Greater focus on infrastructure development; increasing liberalisation Open Sky Policy; AAI driving modernisation of airports, Air and Navigation Systems.
- Growth in aviation accentuating demand for MRO (maintenance, repair and overhaul) facilities.
- Large scale collaborations/M&A deals Etihad Airways & Jet Airways; Tata Group & Singapore Airlines, Tata Group & AirAsia.
- India plans to increase the number of operational airports to 250 by the year 2030.
Reasons to Invest
- India is one of the fastest growing aviation markets and currently the ninth largest civil aviation market in the world.
- India is projected to be the third largest aviation market by 2020.
- Total passenger traffic stood at 163.06 Million during 2013. India is one of the least penetrated air markets in the world with 0.04 trips per capita per annum as compared to 0.3 in China and more than 2 in the USA.
- Indian carriers plan to increase their fleet size to reach 800 aircraft by 2020.
- The Indian aviation sector is likely to see investments totalling USD 12.1 Billion during 2012-17; USD 9.3 Billion is expected to come from the private sector.
- Rolls-Royce opens defence service delivery centre in India
- India climbs to fourth spot in 2016 global air traffic rankings
- Udan scheme: Govt set to announce regional aviation routes, airlines
- Govt awards 128 regional routes to Air India, Air Deccan, SpiceJet among others
- Air India likely to report Rs 300 cr operating profit this year