- With the Indian economy expected to grow by approximately 7% in the years to come, sectors such as infrastructure and automobiles will receive a renewed thrust, which would further generate demand for power and steel in the country. This is expected to provide a major thrust to the demand of minerals like coal and iron ore.
- Minerals like manganese, lead, copper, alumina are expected to witness double digit growth in the years ahead. There is significant scope for new mining capacities in iron ore, bauxite, and coal.
- India has an advantage in the cost of production and in conversion costs of steel and alumina.
- Sustained growth in Indiaâs automotive sector has been driving demand for steel and aluminium.
- The power sector accounts for a large share of the consumption of aluminium and coal in the country.
- Infrastructure projects continue to provide lucrative business opportunities for steel, zinc and aluminium producers.
- Demand for iron and steel is set to continue, given the strong growth expectations for the residential and commercial building industry.
- India has the 301.56 Billion Tonnes coal reserves as of April 2014. Production of coal stood at 540 Million Tonnes and 557.7 Million Tonnes in 2012 and 2013, respectively.
- India ranks fourth globally in terms of iron ore production. In 2013, the country produced 136.02 Million Tonnes of iron ore.
Reasons to Invest
- India has vast minerals potential with mining leases granted for longer durations of 50 years.
- The demand for various metals and minerals will grow substantially over the next 15 years.
- The power and cement industries also aid growth in the metals and mining sector.
- Indiaâs strategic location enables convenient exports.
- Indiaâs per capita steel consumption is four times lower than the global average.
- India has the worldâs 8th largest reserve base of bauxite and 6th largest base of iron ore, accounting for about 5% and 8% respectively of total world production.
- India is 4th largest iron ore producer in the world and 5th largest bauxite ore producer in the world.