- Expansion in industrial activity to boost demand for electricity.
- A growing population is likely to boost demand for energy.
- Increasing market penetration and per-capita usage will provide further impetus to the energy industry.
- Large capacity additions (174.9 GW) are targeted upto 2022.
- Ambitious projects and increasing investments across the value chain.
Reasons to Invest
- The government is targetting a capacity addition of 88.5 GW during 2012-17 and 86.4 GW during 2017-22.
- The National Tariff Policy (2006) ensured adequate return on investment to companies engaged in power generation, transmission and distribution and to companies producing assured electricity to end users at affordable and competitive rates.
- Launch of the Ultra Mega Power Project (UMPP) scheme through tariff-based competitive bidding.
- As of March 31, 2013, total coal reserves stood at 298.94 Billion Tonnes, out of which 123.19 Billion Tonnes were proven reserves.
- Proven natural gas reserves measure up to 1,354.76 Billion cubic meters.